Lead Contact Details
Name: Berwick Harbour Commission
Tel: 01289 307404
Harbour Authority / Local Lighthouse Authority
Geography Area Covered
The limits of Berwick Harbour are defined as “…from the sea at the mouth of the River Tweed up the said river on both shores … up to the river Whiteadder, where the river flows into the Tweed, and also from the east end of the existing pier, two miles in a straight line in every direction along the coast and into the sea.”
The partnership governance groups this organisation is represented on are:
Marine Protected Areas
Berwick Harbour Commission operates or has management which influences, the following inshore marine protected areas between Fast Castle Head and the River Tyne:
- Berwick to St Mary’s MCZ
- Berwickshire and North Northumberland Coast SAC
- Tweed Estuary SAC
- Northumbria Coast SPA
- Northumberland Marine SPA
Berwick Harbour Commission has the following management measures in place to ensure its functions and regulatory powers are carried out in a manner that achieves the conservation objectives for the inshore marine protected areas in which it operates:
- Ensure harbour works have been granted the appropriate consents before they are carried out.
- Ensure capital and maintenance dredging has been granted a marine licence before it is carried out.
- Develop and maintain an up-to-date Harbour Waste Management Plan that recognises the environment sensitivities of nearby marine protected areas.
- Develop and maintain an up-to-date oil and chemical spill contingency plan that recognises the environment sensitivities of nearby marine protected areas.
- Provide oil waste services.
- Provide waste recycling services.
- Promote the responsible use of the marine area by promoting appropriate codes of conduct and best practice.